M.PARKE'S IMMUNITY GUIDE
As we move through the last months of winter, it's important to keep our bodies warm and our immunity high. Today, Melissa Rousseau, of M.Parke Studio shares her tips for boosting your resistance against antigens and using natural medicine to heal. I have most of these items in constant rotation but favorites include turmeric, bee products, and fermented foods + the occasional supplementation of Vitamin D (generally only off & on in the winter months). Wishing you a healthy month- Spring is near!
“A true symptom-relieving medicine would actually facilitate or share in the work that the symptoms are doing in cleansing the body, thus allowing symptoms to work less intensely. This is what a healing herbal or homeopathic medicine can do, and what detoxification does, but drugs are unable to do. The crucial fact is that the symptoms of the illness are also the healing of the illness.” Dr. Philip Incao
M | Healing from Lyme Disease, I would essentially feel, at any given moment, like I have the flu, mono, + rheumatoid arthritis. On a bad day it could be any combination of these. So I can COMPLETELY relate to how much the flu sucks, sucks, sucks. Colds are just super annoying, and none of us have the time to be held down by either. The issue is that most of us don't take charge until symptoms present themselves. So starting early to support and nourish your immune system naturally is always encouraged.
**A NOTE ON THE FLU VACCINE + OVER THE COUNTER COLD/FLU MEDS :: The flu vaccine is packed with harmful ingredients such as mercury, formaldehyde, msg, among many others. It's also based off of speculation regarding which flu strain may or may not be circulating that year. It's essentially a guessing game. So there is no guarantee that the actual vaccine you are getting is targeting the correct strain. The fact that I am hearing more and more about people actually getting full flu symptoms after they have their shot is very troubling.
***Please also keep in mind that over the counter cold + flu medication only PROLONG the illness and inhibit our body's immune system to fight the good fight that it knows instinctively how to do.***
Enter these powerful, natural anti-viral + anti-bacterial immune boosters...
OREGANO OIL :: "Nature's Antibiotic" - a few drops go a long way
• The oil of the wild oregano plant kills unwanted bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and viruses.
• It's also a powerful antihistamine.
• Other Ingredients:
• Carvacrol has been proven in studies to be a powerful antimicrobial. Reseach has shown it to be effective against candida albicans, the aspergillus mold, staphylococcus, campylobacter, klebsiella, e.coli, giardia, pseudomonas, salmonella, and listeria.
• Thymol is a natural fungicide with antiseptic properties. It’s also an immune system booster and a shield against toxins. It is capable of preventing tissue damage and encouraging healing.
• Terpenes is the source of the word turpentine. Terpenes give off a pine scent and are also produced by pine trees. They have potent antibacterial properties.
• Rosmarinic Acid is a stronger antioxidant than vitamin E. It prevents free radical damage and is instrumental in preventing atherosclerosis and cancer. Rosmarinic acid has shown to be effective in the treatment of allergic asthma. It reduces fluid build up and swelling during an allergy attack, and is an effective natural antihistamine.
• Naringin is the substance that gives grapefruit its bitter taste. It has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells and helps boost the effect of antioxidants.
• Oil of oregano also contains a good amount of the vitamin E complex, as well as calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, copper, boron, manganese, vitamins A and C, and niacin.
• Info from naturalnews.com
BEE PRODUCTS :: Honey, Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis | see melissa's post here
ALLIUMS :: Onions, Shallots, Leeks, Scallions, Garlic
• Alliums are antibacterial and anti-fungal, so they not only help ward off colds, but help treat colds, especially those with sinus congestion.
• They can give relief to the most obnoxious of coughs and even help with watery and inflamed eyes.
• Both garlic and onions have been shown to reduce the duration of the common cold.
• Enhances digestive function, restores healthy villi and increases bile and lymphatic flow.
• Turmeric supports gallbladder function and bile flow.
• Bile flow in the gut is the intestine’s first immune responder against infection.
• Turmeric, similar to Vit D 3, decreases immune compromising cytokines (molecular messengers between cells) that cause lymphatic congestion and a sluggish immune response.
• Probiotics are sources of helpful friendly bacteria that keep the gut and the openings of the body far more balanced and disease-resistant.
• A healthy adult gastrointestinal tract contains over two pounds of micro-flora.
• FOODS TO ADD IN :: living fermented, unpasturized foods such as Sauerkraut + Raw Cultured Vegetables, Miso, Kefir, Goat Milk Kefir, and Young Coconut Kefir
• The sun has been the trigger for optimal health and immunity for 60 million years but recently we have been told to avoid it.
• Without proper sunlight the immune system lies dormant.
• Killer T cells in the immune system cannot go into battle and fight against an infection unless they find and attach to optimal levels of vitamin D3.
• If the immune system had a gas tank, the gas would be vitamin D3.
• FOODS TO ADD IN :: Dried Shitake Mushrooms, Cod Liver Oil, Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines, Herring, Hggs
• An essential mineral that plays an important role in immune function.
• Many people are deficient, which leads to increased susceptibility.
• Zinc has been shown to decrease incidence of pneumonia and the duration and severity of colds and flu.
• Regular zinc intake throughout the year works to prevent colds entirely.
• FOODS TO ADD IN :: Oysters, Alaska King Crab, Raw Sesame Seeds, Raw Pumpkin Seeds, Adzuki Beans, Raw Cashews, Wild Rice, Edamame
• Studies show that it can inhibit the growth of influenza viruses and shorten the duration of symptoms.
• The main flavonoids present are anthocyanins.
• FOODS TO ADD IN :: Berries, Eggplant, Currants, Grape, Cherries, Black Rice
• A phytochemical compound: has been shown to suppress inflammation and fight aging.
• Has broad antiviral effects.
• FOODS TO ADD IN :: Colorful Fruits, Berries