MEGHAN TELPNER'S CHOCOLATE PANCAKES
Meghan is the kind of girl who adds color and vibrancy to everything that crosses her path. We met at a healthy potluck she hosted several years ago & bonded over our shared love of great food, conversation and, of course, nutrition. Meghan has since completely healed herself through a holistic approach from what she was told was an incurable disease. She is now thriving as a best selling author and founder of The Academy of Culinary Nutrition. Meghan was the catalyst for my leap into the world of nutrition, and she continues to be a huge inspiration and motivation for me.
Today, I’m honored to share Meghan’s delicious chocolate pancakes from her new book The Undiet Cookbook. It's the perfect addition to any holistic kitchen with over 130 gluten free, plant based recipes. This pancake mix is not your typical mix. It's made from several nutrient rich and high fiber ingredients, -- you can find these food in my essential shopping guide. Making something sweet and healthy for yourself or someone else is a delicious expression of love. When eating something like this, slow down and savor each and every bite, thinking about all the sweetness that fills your life.
Chocolate, Chocolate, Say It Twice Pancakes
Makes 8–10 pancakes
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg or 1 serving Chia Paste (page 205 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup organic unsweetened organic applesauce or Simple Applesauce (page 204 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
3 Tbsp coconut oil or organic ghee, softened
1 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
Make It Like So
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. The sifting is a bit tedious, but it does help with the pancake fluff factor. (You can skip it if you want, though.)
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. If your coconut oil is solid, you may wish to warm it over the stove to liquefy it. (Sometimes I’ll totally cheat and throw all the wet ingredients into the blender.)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mix, and then stir in the chocolate chips. If you like your pancakes on the thinner side, add a little more water to the batter. It doesn’t take much to thin the mix, so be careful. You don’t want your pancakes to become a runny mess.
- Heat your skillet to medium heat and dollop on some coconut oil or ghee. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter at a time into the hot skillet. Once you see bubbles start to form, it’s time to flip these babies over. The trick with pancakes is to keep the heat high enough to cook them through, but not so high that it burns the outside while the inside is left raw. Once you find the right spot on your stove, take note! Let the pancakes sit for 5 minutes before serving. This helps them firm up in the middle.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. I love shredded unsweetened, dried, shredded coconut, ground flax, ground goji berries, and a drizzle of Special Syrup (page 205 in The UnDiet Cookbook).
Excerpted from The UnDiet Cookbook: 130 Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy and Awesome Life by Meghan Telpner. Copyright © 2015 Meghan Telpner. Photography Copyright © 2015 Maya Visnyei and Catherine Farquharson. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Ltd., a Penguin Random House Company. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Meghan Telpner is a Toronto-based author, speaker, nutritionist, and founder of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. Her humorous, engaging and real approach to living a healthy and awesome life has garnered her a world-wide following and extensive media attention. Meghan’s Academy of Culinary Nutrition, is growing a global tribe of vibrant living advocates and her bestselling and award-winning book UnDiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health and the follow-up The UnDiet Cookbook is creating a revolution in how people think about their health. With an equal passion for both vibrant living and good karma business, Meghan works with health focused independent practitioners and small businesses to find their unique voice in a crowded marketplace, stay ahead of the curve, cultivate community and convert passion into profitable conscious business. Get inspired at MeghanTelpner.com.