SUMMER'S RUSTIC FLATBREAD PIZZA
Summer Sanders, the beauty behind Sedona's Local Juicery, shares her simple & straightforward raw food recipe that will keep you coming back for more! Create your own version with a variety of topping options or try different sauces, like my cilantro pesto. A summer dish that's sure to please the palate - Enjoy!!
S | This is one of my favorite raw recipes I turn to when I want to wow people or do something a little more special than just raw pasta. It’s very versatile; You can customize this recipe to fit your favorite vegetables and herbs. You can even play with the sauce: for a sweeter sauce, add a few pitted dates. For a more robust sauce, add a splash of red wine, a tablespoon or two of fresh basil leaves, and a few raw organic cashews. There is a lot of room for creativity here.
I love having interactive dinner parties where I make the crust and sauce and then have people bring their favorite toppings… sometimes I add raw goat cheese, heavenly.
Raw | Vegan | Paleo
Serves 6 to 8
What You’ll Need
For the Crust
1 small sweet white onion
1/4 cup raw organic olive oil
1 medium yellow squash, coarsely
1 cup raw organic walnuts
2 dates, pitted
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup ground golden flax
For the Sauce
2 medium Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup soaked sun dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon organic cold-pressed olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
Sea salt to taste
Choice of Toppings
1 tablespoon capers
5 to 8 Kalamata olives, pitted and thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cored and julienned
1 cup fresh arugula
1/4 cup chopped fresh broccoli marinated with olive oil
2 raw organic macadamia nuts, grated
1 cup sliced, dehydrated red onions
Method For Crust
1. Coarsely the onion and transfer to a food processor. Add the olive oil, squash, walnuts, dates, and salt. Blend until well combined, pulse a few times if there are still chucks.
2. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the ground flax seeds, and set aside to thicken, about five minutes.
3. Spread the mixture onto Teflex sheets, about 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick, then cut into desired shapes and dehydrate for 12 to 24 hours. *You may want to turn them after 8 hours.
4. If you don’t want to wait, bake it in the oven at lowest setting until golden brown.
Method For Sauce
1. In a food processor, combine the raw and sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, oregano, and sea salt.
2. Process for about 30 seconds, or until desired consistency is reached (smooth or a bit chunky).
3. Set aside.
1. Put your crust on a nice serving platter or a cutting board, spread your pizza sauce on and any other sauces (such as pesto), and top with your favorite toppings. Eat immediately… pairs perfectly with your favorite glass of wine.