HONEY GINGER APPLE CRUMBLE
I have enjoyed Apple crisps, Bettys, and Crumbles a million different ways in my life, and this is by far my favorite recipe! This dish is especially delicious this time of year & will fill your home with delightful fall aromas.
Apples are one the best fruits out there, and nothing says fall more than a nice juicy apple. They are a great source of fiber, help to regulate your blood sugar, and are high in antioxidants & loaded with vitamin C. What’s not to like?
Oats are also a perfect choice for a healthy, balanced diet. They are an excellent source of fiber, contain an array of B vitamins, and are a great source of manganese. Oats contain high amounts of selenium, feel good tryptophan, and protein. Wheat-free oats are also well tolerated by those who have an intolerance to gluten, which makes them a perfect alternative.
1 cup gluten free organic oats (sub-quinoa flakes)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4-1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour or almond meal or oat flour
1/2 cup coconut sugar, raw honey, dates or sweetener of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4-1/2 cup coconut oil or organic butter
5-6 medium Granny smith, Macintosh or Honey crisp apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons all-purpose gluten free flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1-2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
2-4 tablespoons raw honey, maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Filling: Peel, core & cut apples. Place apples in a large bowl & mix with lemon juice & ginger.
- Combine flour, cinnamon & nutmeg & add to apple mixture. Add honey or sweeter of choice & mix until all of the apples are coated.
- Place apples evenly in an 8×8 glass-baking dish.
- Crisp: Combine oats, cinnamon, flour, sugar, vanilla and sea salt in a medium bowl. Mix in coconut oil or cut butter into small cubes.
- Using your hands, create a crumble with the mixture.
- Distribute crumb mixture over apples & Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is nicely browned.
- Serve warm with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream.