6 WAYS TO STAY HEALTHY THROUGH THE HOLIDAYS !
- EXERCISE- Keep moving!! Try to get to the gym or a yoga class. If you don’t have time to fit in a work out, go for a long walk, especially after meals. Take the stairs whenever possible and engage in active holiday events. Don’t wait until the New Year to start making resolutions!
- REST – Give yourself time to rest whenever possible. Take naps and sleep in after a late night out. Not sleeping enough can lower immunity and cause weight gain. When we don’t get enough sleep, the body starts overproducing a hormone called Ghrelin, “the hunger hormone.” This sends signals to the body that you’re still hungry & you will find yourself noshing all day long. Stave off cravings by drinking plenty of water and herbal tea.
- EAT CONSCIOUSLY – Eat slowly, don’t overeat, and try to stick to a plant based diet. Bring a healthy dish to a holiday party or eat something before you go, so you don’t overindulge in too many processed or sugary foods. If your system is feeling overburdened, try a 1 day juice cleanse to give your body a break. Keep your focus on fun, not food. Food doesn’t have to be the main event this holiday season. Connect through other holiday activities and feel better all season long.
- DE-STRESS –The holiday season can be overwhelming and stressful. Make sure to take time to unwind. Maybe skip a holiday party or two. Stop & take 10 deep breaths, mediate, get a massage, go to a yoga class or take a long bath. Be cautious not to drive yourself too hard. This will keep you healthy, happy and ready for a vibrant new year!
- STAY HYDRATED – Chances are you’re dehydrated! Drink half your body weight in ounces everyday to keep your body systems regulated. For instance, if you weigh 130 pounds, drink 65 ounces of water daily. This will keep cravings at bay, support digestion, and give you glowing skin and more energy. If you choose to drink alcohol, stick to wine or champagne and make sure to increase your water intake that day.
- EXPRESS GRATITUDE – The more you give thanks, the better you feel. When we give thanks, the people around us feel better too. Take time to write thank you notes, reach out to loved ones and recognize all the things you have to be grateful for in your life. The more you express your thanks, the more that wonderful people and situations will flow into your life. Write a list of 5 things you’re grateful for right now.